Buy your Deering Goodtime Special Leader Open Back with Gator Hard case - Commission Sale from Eagle Music Shop and receive our premier workshop setup at no extra cost.
Deering Goodtime Special Leader Open Back Specification:
Excellent for all styles, old time, clawhammer, frailing and even bluegrass!
The Deering Goodtime Special Leader Open Back has amazing volume and quality of tone. The addition of the Deering tone ring gives you extra power and clarity of sound. We set up each banjo with a precise action and supply to you in standard ‘G’ tuning.
All Deering Goodtime ‘Leader’ Banjos are unique and exclusive to Eagle Music UK, they are upgraded Goodtime banjos that are built by the same Craftsmen, and with the same care and tooling that is used for building the top of the line USA Deering, Vega and Tenbrooks Banjos. Teachers and professionals around the world recommend the Goodtime banjo!
Here are some of the high quality build specifications of this fine Deering banjo:
- Blonde Slender Rock Maple Neck
- Fitted with Deering patent pending 20-10 Steel Tone Ring
- Planetary, precision geared, back facing traditional banjo tuning pegs
- Geared 5th String Tuner
- Deering Fiddle Shaped Peghead
- Engraved Deering Goodtime Eagle ‘Leader’ logo on headstock
- Fiddle shaped headstock
- Black side dot neck position markers
- Exotic hardwood ‘Bow Tie’ fret inlays
- Blonde 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- Steel Tension Hoop
- Three ply solid violin maple rim
- Fitted with a Deering 11" High Crown Frosted Top White Banjo Head
- 5/8″ Maple/Ebony Goodtime Bridge
- 16 Flat Hooks with 9/32″ Nuts
- 16 Bracket Shoes with Screw Attachments
- Deering Patented Goodtime Silent Tailpiece
- Steel Coordinator Rod for Adjustments
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Set up with 9, 11, 13, 24w, 9 strings
- Durable Satin Finish
- Openback Please Note: This banjo can be upgraded to a ‘Closed Back' resonator banjo at a later stage by fitting the resonator conversion kit that we offer as a retrofit parts kit.
Easy to play with clarity of note separation and round full bodied tone.
g,D,G,B,D in standard G tuning
Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
Rim Diameter 11″
Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
Weight Approx.4.5 lbs
More Specification detail:
The Pot Assembly…
The Three Ply solid violin maple rim is built from solid red maple (as used on pre-war classic Mastertone banjos)... The rim diameter is 279.40mm (11”) and a thickness of 14.28mm (9/16”). The maple rim is fitted with a heavy 1/8" steel Deering tone ring and produces a powerful, bright, clear Deering ‘warm’ sound. 16 bracket hooks are fitted to give even tension on the tension hoop. The tailpiece is a Deering ‘Presto’ type that accepts loop-ended string. All metal work is nickel plated to a high standard. A milky 11” diameter ‘Deering’ plastic head is fitted (top side coated) along with an ebony tipped 15.87mm (5/8”) maple bridge. The solid maple rim is natural satin finished. Complete with nickel plated armrest.
The Neck Assembly…
The neck is attached to the pot assembly with a single lag bolt and a single coordinating rim rod, which give you the facility to alter the ‘action’ of the banjo to suit your particular style of playing relative to the strings of your choice. The neck is constructed from solid rock maple. The 22-fret fingerboard is inlaid with exotic Hardwood Bow Tie inlays at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, and 19th frets. The nickel silver fretwork is perfectly positioned, rounded and polished for smooth playing. Black side dot position markers
The geared 5th string tuner is adjacent the 5th fret. The nut is precisely cut and filed for a comfortable string action at the first position. The 5th string tuning peg has a screw to adjust the torque for positive tuning. The Traditional Shaped Banjo Peg Head (headstock) is finished in natural satin maple stained the name Leader Logo and ‘Goodtime’ is laser etched along with a Deering Star with the following inscription ‘Made In USA’. The Planetary Geared Tradititonal Banjo tuners are nickel plated to match the hardware of the pot assembly. The neck is natural satin finished, to match the rim.