Deering Goodtime Special 'Carolina King' Leader Banjo Specification:
The set-up on this banjo is influenced by the Carolina King himself, Jens Kruger! It is an excellent natural maple closed back resonator banjo fitted with the Deering patent pending 20/10 tone ring. It has Deering railroad capo spikes fitted at the 7th, 9th and 10th frets to facilitate easy key changes for different tunings. Also fitted to this excellent banjo is a set of 10 gauge Deering strings. The three ply violin maple rim is the same quality as found on pre-war Mastertone banjos. Jens Kruger played this banjo at our ‘Banjo 1000’ event and was more than impressed at the power, punch and playability of this unique Deering ‘Goodtime’ Leader banjo.
All Deering Goodtime ‘Leader’ Banjos are unique and exclusive to Eagle Music UK, they are upgraded Goodtime banjos that are built by the same Craftsmen, and with the same care and tooling that is used for building the top of the line USA Deering, Vega and Tenbrooks Banjos. Teachers and professionals around the world recommend the Goodtime banjo!
Here are some of the high quality build specifications of this fine Deering banjo:
- Blonde Slender Rock Maple Neck
- 22 Pressed In Nickel Silver Frets
- Planetary, precision geared, back facing traditional banjo tuning pegs
- Deering 5th string capo spikes fitted at the 7th 9th and 10th frets (See details at Bottom of Page)
- Geared 5th String Tuner
- Deering Fiddle Shaped Peghead
- Engraved Deering Goodtime & Eagle ‘Leader’ logo on headstock
- Black side dot neck position markers
- Exotic hardwood ‘Bow Tie’ fret inlays
- Blonde 3-ply Violin Grade Solid Maple Rim
- Steel Tension Hoop
- 20/10 Goodtime Special Tone Ring
- Deering 11″ Frosted Top High Crown Banjo Head
- Set up with 10, 11, 13, 21w, 10 Deering Strings
- 5/8″ Maple/Ebony Goodtime Bridge
- 16 Flat Hooks with 9/32″ Nuts
- 16 Bracket Shoes with Screw Attachments
- Deering Patented Goodtime Silent Tailpiece
- Deering Vega Style Low Set Armrest
- Steel Coordinator Rod for Adjustments
- Nickel plated hardware
- Durable Satin Finish
- Closed back
Easy to play with clarity of note separation and round powerful full bodied tone.
g,D,G,B,D in standard G tuning
Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
Resonator diameter 13 7/8″
Overall Instrument Length 38″
Weight Approx. 8 lbs
Warranty: Deering 6 year warranty. The trust and pride that Deering share in their products gives them the confidence to grant every owner of a Goodtime banjo a six year warranty ensuring the quality of materials and workmanship.
What are Capo Spikes?
Capo Spikes enable you to ‘CAPO’ your 5th string and play your banjo in higher keys simply by pushing your 5th string underneath one of the installed capo spikes. You will also need to place a ‘regular type capo’ on your fingerboard. Eg. When your banjo is in standard tuning and tuned to an open ‘G’ chord and you want to play say in open ‘A’ you will need to put a regular capo on your 2nd fret and also need to ‘CAPO’ your 5th string… So, when you have a Capo Spike fitted to your 7th fret you can push your 5th string underneath the capo spike to raise the pitch of your 5th string to ‘A’.
We recommend spikes to be installed on your 7th fret (enabling the key of A) and 9th fret (enabling the key of B) and 10th fret (enabling the key of C)
Spikes are much neater than other 5th string capo types, they do not get in the way of your playing… but are always there when you need them.
Spikes were pioneered and used by the legendary Earl Scruggs and are used by most professional banjo players of today.
THE FITTING OF SPIKES WILL NOT INVALIDATE YOUR DEERING BANJO WARRANTY
Each banjo we supply is individually set up in our on-site Banjo Specialist Workshop here at Eagle Music. Any Banjo purchased from Eagle will be fully SET UP, checked for intonation and playability and tuned ready for playing straight out of the box!